HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Cranmer, Leon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:51:13 -0400
Jason,

In 1999 the Edwards dam across the Kennebec River at Augusta, Maine, was
removed, dropping the water level 18' and effecting approximately 14 miles
of shoreline.  We conducted an initial survey prior to the dam removal, and
several intensive surveys after removal.  We identified 47 prehistoric sites
within the impoundment area, 11 of which were newly identified.  We also
found 7 new historic sites, mostly mill related.  Monitoring of these sites
still continues.  A report was prepared on the survey results and a second
report was written on the remains of three late 18th early 19th c. mill dams
that were revealed after the dam removal.  No work was done on the Edwards
dam site itself other than recordation.

If any of this is of interest to you please let me know off line.

Lee Cranmer
Maine Historic Preservation Commission