HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 11:37:42 -0400
On Jun 9, 2004, at 10:06 AM, JMB wrote:

> Anybody have any references to dam removal projects
> and the archaeology that was done prior to their
> removal?

The list below was culled from the Va. Dept. of Historic Resources CRM
database.

Of these, the Embrey Dam on the Rappahannock Riv. above Fredericksburg
was breached to allow anadromous fish upstream. As is typical, there
was another earlier dam upstream. With all of these, the emphasis was
on the dam. The problem is that I do not know of follow-up work was
done to investigate the earlier dam remnants that were affected as a
direct result of the breaching of the later dam, nor if a survey of the
former pond bottomlands upstream of the dam was done after the
breaching. It is in these areas that potential batteaux and other
watercraft remnants are probably located. The unbreached Bosher's Dam
has 19th century canal boats in the pond that have been located by
avocational divers as well as an intact wooden dam.

Hope this is of some use.

Lyle Browning

A Phase II Archeological Evaluation of the Williams Viaduct Project and
the Mitigation of Lynch's Mill Dam in City of Lynchburg, Virginia,
1986, Sarah C. Sherwood et al, James Madison U., MS on file at Va.
Dept. of Historic Resources.

Archaeological Reconnaissance at Ashland Mills Dam, Hanover County,
Virginia, 1998, Michael J. Klein, Anita Dodd, Douglas Sanford, Mary
Washington College. MS on file at Va. Dept. of Historic Resources.

Archaeological Reconnaissance Reports for Ashland Mills Dam (Hanover
County) and Bosher's Dam (Henrico County), 1994, Michael J. Klein,
Anita Dodd, Mary Washington College. MS on file at Va. Dept. of
Historic Resources.

An Assessment of the Embrey Dam Area: The Embrey Dam Hydroelectric
Project and Adjacent Archaeological Resources, City of Fredericksburg,
Spotsylvania County, Stafford County, Virginia, 1997, Douglas W.
Sanford, Mary Washington College. MS on file at Va. Dept. of Historic
Resources.

Historic Resources at the Falls of the Rappahannock River: An
assessment of Cultural Resources in the Vicinity of the Embrey Dam in
the City of Fredericksburg and Stafford County, Virginia, 1991, Erik F.
Nelson ? Mary Washington College. MS on file at Va. Dept. of Historic
Resources.