HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 19:07:14 -0700
At 11:37 AM 9/3/2004 +1000, you wrote:
>After a quick look at the site, as an Australian I cannot comment on the
>legality of his work in the American context, though it would certainly be
>illegal where I am.

It's "illegal" here in the US too, at least on Federal, State, or public
land....but such collecting is rampant...and I dont see any stopping it.

>However OH&S is another matter. I suspect he may not be around to long -

Actually John, these bottle hunters are all over the country...and have
been digging such privies, etc. for Many yrs...and I dont remember hearing
of cave-ins or deaths...or even accidents....even tho they dont use shoring
or take other precautions.  I dont know what health hazards they may
accumulate over their yrs of collecting....and this information hasnt made
the news.  I'm quite sure there are far more amateur diggers with huge
bottle (etc.) collections than there are archaeologists with archived
collections (same with those who collect prehistoric artifacts).

But...as this guy (Eddie) states, they are recording history...since in
many cases these items would never be known about if they didn't dig them
up...since professional archys unfortunately (my words, not Eddie's) get so
little chance (comparatively) to excavate such deposits....at least out
west...in CA.  I cant speak for the east coast of N America.

Archys can gain a good deal of knowledge from amateur collectors
collections...if we all cooperate.  I dont mean condone what they do...but
understand that we are never going to Stop them from doing it (no matter
what laws are in place)...so we might as well try to share the knowledge
instead of being antagonists.

Just my opinion.

Carol