HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:40:15 -0700
So did I.  It seems several folks on this forum have had their email
addresses "hacked" or spoofed...or whatever the term is...and then these
malicious creeps (who stole the acct names) are using them to send out
infected attachments, hoping we will trust the address they are coming
from.  The innocent person's computer is NOT infected tho.

As long as you...the receiver...have a Good and up-to-date antivirus
program...it should catch all the attacks.  What gives it away for
me...even if I recognize the address (but I had never exchanged emails with
ERAGAN - Elizabeth Ragan)...the Subject line is usually "lame"....and then
there is NO text in the email...just an attachment.  WHY would I open it?

I dont think there is anything Anita can do....just be aware of this
problem...and annoyance.  And everyone Be Careful.  Dont open/run any files
you get without knowing they were going to be sent.

Carol