HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dan Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 18:57:50 -0500
My two cents worth and only mine:)

As far as I know the legal definition of "archaeologist" is spelled out in
the Secretary of the Interior's standards as a person with an M.A. in
Archaeology or closely related field.  I personally feel that anyone working
in archaeology that can rise beyond the technician level, comprehend,
develop, and implement adequate research designs with the objective of
answering relevant questions, and manipulate contextual data into something
meaningful is probably an archaeologist or stands a good chance of being
mistaken for one:):):)

Dan Allen
Center for Historic Preservation at MTSU
and
Cumberland Research Group, Inc.