text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Southern Garden History / Southern Plant Lists:

http://southerngardenhistory.org/PDF/SouthernPlantLists.pdf

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Lyle E. Browning <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Tangent Warning:
>
> I have again encountered a Poncirus trifoliata in my surveys, fortunately not up close and personal, but from a revisited and updated survey I did in 1991. So, in looking up when it entered use in the USA, nobody got nuttin, apart from generalities. A native of China and Korea and able to stand cold weather. OK, fine. But it's all over the south and mid-west and is used as a hedge at Fort Knox. This thing has thorns that do serious damage at least 10 feet before they stick you and they go through anything.
>
> In general my question is: has anyone done a list of plants that have immigrated to North America and when their first mention in the lit or other notice was recorded?
>
> Tulips and daffodils were once more valuable than gold. Other plants have medicinal as well as "keep away" values, as is seen if you Google the nasty little plant. Vinca major and Vinca minor area associated with ornamental beds and with graveyards. Poinsettias come from the Mexican War if I remember correctly and Yucca is either the Sp-Am War or perhaps western expansion.
>
> My long way around question is whether anyone has done a list of plants and when they first appear? And if so, is it computerized?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Lyle Browning, RPA

-- 
Smoke Pfeiffer
If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read
the newspaper, you are misinformed. -- Mark Twain
 ABO

ATOM RSS1 RSS2