HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Legare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:33:17 -0700
The state and federal laws are pretty clear.  In the
federal system, site locational data is classified
"Confidential."  Here in New Mexico, state and local
agencies treat the information in the same manner.  A
client fits the "need to know" criteria because that
person is usually a project planner or implementer who
needs the information in order to adjust projects to
archaeological needs.  If client releases such
information publicly, he or she has violated the law.
When I worked as a private consultant, that fact was
pressed home in almost every communication with the
client.