HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Iain Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:42:00 +1000
Tim and others,

I had thought about a similar question when doing my thesis research. I had
a diary that recorded where the author went and roughly the time he spent
doing it. From this you could establish various seasonal patterns of
movement as well social patterns and the occasional extraneous pattern such
as chasing after stolen sheep or visiting people with a petition. Putting
this on a GIS would be a very useful as a way of displaying data and working
out patterns of movement.

The thought did cross my mind that this was moving much more into human
geography/anthropology than archaeology. In fact I had thought of a title
"Passing the time at Cuppacumbalong" which goes to show something of my
mental state at the time. Of course it was irrelevant to my thesis and
remains something I will do later...

However I think a trawl through the literature of human geography might be
worthwhile in finding similar studies though probably not with GIS.

Iain Stuart
Principal, Archaeology and Heritage Management
HLA-Envirosciences Pty. Ltd.