HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Iain Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 12:45:38 +1100
In 1990 I was offered the chance of participating in a survey of the
Furneaux Islands in Bass Strait. Having accepted this I wandered into a
large stationary warehouse to shop for the appropriate stationary. I found
this neat red plastic alphabetical document file which I used to store
copies of relevant articles and various notes. Within five years the plastic
began to harden around the edges and fracture. Today I am left with a folder
that is still flexible in the middle but every edge is hard and brittle and
leaves a pile of red chips of plastic everywhere. The folder has been
consigned to the dustbin of history, the chips are still slowly being
located and thrown out (they get everywhere).

This is a warning to those, like myself, seduced by the plastic folder -
stick to paper!

Iain Stuart