HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 21:35:42 -0400
Once upon a time, surveys in the 19th century for property and
buildings in the boroughs of New York City started with a 0,0 at
Columbus Circle, perhaps under the statue of him, I've not "ground
truthed" the loci. I have however in the course of research for
archaeology, seen the maps (or "linens") which have the coordinates
(non-Cartesian) positive in cardinal directions from the 0,0, i.e.
+1000 feet W, +2000 feet S or +N and +W, etc. I imagine there were
other systems in use in other places. In the archaeo-astronomy of
Mexico, I have been shown stone "compass" circles in the hinterland of
an monumental site used to align events of solstices within the
architecture. Christopher Columbus and crew its reported once survived
on a sandbar for a number of months because of his ephemeris, telling
him when an eclipse would occur impressing the locals with Western
science.

I agree with you that archaeology should not be a "handmaiden" of
history, but sometimes its the only reason for it which makes it
complicated. In my example for NYC I would find it important to
ascertain the angles and placements of features, perhaps, to also date
them within the realignments of the different surveys the city had/has
gone through, which could be done today. To me that seems like a good
justification, though not all building remains necessarily conform
with previous surveys perhaps.

An example I came upon recently involved the sale of a number of
properties in the 1930's to a Catholic priest, who then sold it to the
local town, and the first commercial ski facility in the eastern US
developed. With the historical research, I might determine it had been
planned as a cemetery, without it, just testing it, never uncover that
original intent and maybe with dire consequence in further
development. I hope that it is further researched, as I was not given
enough time to research it, an early 20th century slaughterhouse's
structural remains also turning up in the short time I had. The first
"calico" in the US was printed nearby, in the Town of Johnsburg, NY

George Myers