HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:42:08 -1000
I have a bottle found in Hawaii at an archaeological dig of a site that
dates approximately from 1860-1900. I am an undergraduate student for the
university of hawaii and am charged with the task of finding the origins of
this bottle, It is embossed on one side with Boston, the opposite side
Burnett. This bottle is similar to ones listed in four books: Fike 1987:156 The
bottle Book; Reynolds Archeological Investigations at Old Fort Scott 1983:182;
Switzer *The Bertrand Bottles: A Study of 19th-Century Glass and Ceramic
Containers *1974:69-70; B&B Wilson *19th Century Medicine in Glass* 1971:25

 However, I have looked at these four and they are not the same bottle. I
would really like to find what was in the bottle, and the date that it may
have been manufactured. From one source I was given 1890-1915 as a date
because of the type of tooled lip-- from a bottle collector known as
"Digger"

 Some pictures of the Bottle can be found Here
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/29722035629.jpg&s=x2<http://http//putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/29722035629.jpg&s=x2>
if the link doesnt work paste into browser window
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/29722035629.jpg&s=x2

Any help with this particular bottle would be greatly appreciated
Nate