HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bonnie Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 10:55:04 -0600
A portion of a recent posting stated:

> Another valuable web site is maintained by the Bureau of Land Management.
> They are encoding the Government Land Office patents. One can search by
> last name, or by location, and even download the original documents.
> Their address is:
>
> http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/

This is a heads up to those of us working in the transmississippi west.
This web site only covers the eastern states.  A query to the listmaster
was answered stating
that the western states do not have an equivalent web page although "They
are busy with ALMRS (their automation system)".  He suggested contacting
individual western states to ascertain what (if any) resources were
available on-line.  He did reassure me that within a few years they will
be working on all patents from 1908 to 1960, but it will be a while.
Until then, its probably microfilm at the state BLM office.

Bonnie Clark
SWCA, Inc.