HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2006 18:41:43 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, HISTARCH
automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> i.e. Geoff writes
>should heritage protection=20
>>necessarily descend into a popularity contest?

Restoration (the tv programme) raises many issues.  The idea that the
general public rather than scholars should decide the priority for
limited resources is challenging, but the public _does_ get the benefit
of expert advice through the programmes, which means that really they
are in the same position as many of the other custodians of funding for
heritage.

This series, viewers are being encouraged to visit the sites.  Our
region (the south east) is too large, as many are, to realistically
expect that viewers will visit all three sites before casting their vote
- but the presence at the site of local authority, scholarly societies
and so on will, I hope, encourage and support those who want to learn
more, to take their interest further.  I haven't checked, but I guess
the BBC will have put together one of its great micro-websites for the
programme which, again, will support viewers' learning.

On the north/south divide: in the case of the Watts Gallery, its
location does not help - or rather, it would help, if the building were
to be converted into houses - but the intention is to keep it for its
original function.

Lastly - and it is not reassuring - the amount of funding involved in
Restoration is quite small.  Even if this money were poured into a
project which had absolutely no value, it would have very little impact,
compared with the potential loss to heritage funding as funds are
diverted into the Olympics.  Oh, and national and local authority
funding is diminishing - popular support for programmes protecting and
enhancing heritage is often all that stands between a budget and a
knife.

Best wishes to all,

Pat
(not canvassing for votes for the Watts Gallery - although I do
recommend you visit, and will be there with my work hat on for its'
Restoration day).

--
Pat Reynolds
   "It might look a bit messy now,