HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Moss, William" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:12:33 -0400
David Petts,
All persons interested in proposing a session for the SHA 2005 conference in
York,

Here is detailled information in reply to your query of June 3. Your query
concerns two issues, firstly acceptance of proposals for sessions and,
secondly, payment procedures for pre-registration.

Session Proposals:

The Society for Historical Archaeology's principal concern in accepting
proposal's for sessions is that our Statement of Ethical Principles be
respected. Further information on the Ethical Principles is available on the
web site at www.sha.org/About/ethics.htm. Should you have any question as to
whether the subject of your session would be appropriate, please contact the
conference coordinator, Dr. Harold Mytum, or the program chair, Dr. Kate
Giles, both of the University of York. Questions concerning the terrestrial
program may be adressed to Dr. Jon Finch, also of the University of York.
Questions concerning the underwater program may be addressed to Christopher
Underwood of the Nautical Archaeological Society. The address and telephone
number of the program chairs can be obtained at
www.sha.org/About/Conferences/mt2005.htm

Payment Procedures:

David Petts finds the procedures rather complicated. SHA and conference
organizers are aware of this and will do all we can to facilitate the
process. But we do have to follow some basic rules. Mr. Petts suggests that
"the usual procedure would be for the proposer to email the organisers with
a session proposal, that proposal to be accepted, and only once it was
confirmed that the session was accepted would registration be expected,
allowing participants to then seek out grants etc where necessary." This
could be considered for future conferences but please remember that
organizing an international conference of this size is a complicated
process. We cannot change our procedures at present. Also, it is important
for us to have committed proposals in advance for our planning and our
financial engagements with hotels and suppliers. We are aware that some
people will not obtain financing to attend, so there is a mechanism in the
Call for Papers dealing with cancellations and reimbursements. It states
that "Requests for refunds of abstract submittal fees will be honored for
those withdrawing from the program until October 15, 2004, less a processing
fee of $25.00."

If the on-line registration process cannot be used for the reasons you
identify, please ask your participants to forward you the appropriate
information; you can submit a hard-copy (downloaded from web page at
www.sha.org/About/Conferences/mt2005.htm) to our business office by email or
fax. You can, of course, mail your proposal and your personal registration
information to us and your participants can mail their registration
information separately. As long as everything is clearly and well marked so
that we can put the right participants with their session, then everything
will be fine. Please address any further questions concernant payment or
registration procedures directly to SHA's business office at [log in to unmask]

I hope this makes things easier for you. Don't hesitate to contact the
business office or myself with any further questions.

William Moss, RPA
President
Society for Historical Archaeology

Archéologue principal