HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Megan Springate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 20:06:27 -0700
Greetings.

Can anyone suggest good comparative bone reference books (good pictures -
photos or drawings, plus descriptions) for domestic animals? I'm looking,
in particular, for cat, dog, cow, goat, sheep, pig. Bird bones would be a
plus (assorted pigeons, chicken, duck, etc). Even a good veterinary
science/anatomy book with a clear skeletal section would be helpful...

I know that faunal analysis should be done by a faunal analyst, and that
nothing can truly substitute for a comparative collection, but I would like
to start learning some of the basics myself.... I have Gilbert, which is
nice for the more "wild" beasts...

Thanks,
Megan Springate