Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2012 16:38:52 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
Susan: As Los Adaes is heavily influenced by French culture there may be something pertinent there.
French short hand for a toilet is lieu same as lugar. For what it's worth. French - Creoles had porte-
chambres (chamber pots) kept inside and dumped outside in the woods/streams/ some place down wind.
Insects and other critters re-cycle waste fast in these climes. We have no evidence of privies at Los Adaes as yet.  Thanks for asking the answers have been fun to read. Pete Gregory

Sent: Friday, June 29, 2012 11:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Lugares

What do you think - in a documented and known to be in use at that time as a KITCHEN?
  ----- Original Message -----
  To: Susan Walter
  Sent: Friday, June 29, 2012 9:14 AM
  Subject: Lugares

Susan:
  I have descriptions from 18th c. mission inventories that refer to latrines as "lugares privativos" and "lugares de necesario privativo," approximately -- I'm not sure I'm remembering the Spanish exactly.  In general, "lugares" would probably be a short-hand reference to a privy.

Jake

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
  Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
  Version: 9.0.930 / Virus Database: 2433.1.1/5099 - Release Date: 06/28/12 11:34:00

ATOM RSS1 RSS2