HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pete Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2012 15:46:42 -0500
I'm sort of following up on Skip Abernathey. I agree it's good you are dealing with standing structures. He is right about the La. flatlands (floodplains) which are virtually rockless! Still people werre still building
"cat" (balls of mud and moss) and "rabbit" (rabets or slats of split wood and sticks) chimneys here in the
1960's. That was about the end of it. There are very few left to see that were done correctly.
The lower sills sat on the wooden blocks which had sill wide tops and rapered away from the sills towards the bottoms so as not to rot the blocks with water accumulations. Sandstone block was hauled for miles and were preferred where they could get them. Sandstone was the only large stone available. Rarely fireplaces were
stone chimneys also. The fireplaces had mud walls and floors, I've seen one made in a arc with a crosscut saw mailed to hold up the arc! The pinning occurred more commonly in the very early piece sur piece hewn log cabins built by the French here and in Canada. The logs in the walls were pinned in several places.
     There is a dissertation at LSU Baton Rouge by Martin Wright titled Log Culture in North La. as I recall.
It was done in the 1950's and shows the variety and complexity of both double pen and single pen structures hereabouts (Winn Parish). It might really help you out. You might try the Canadians ot Jay Edwards fot information on French log structures.
      Pete Gregory     Northwestern State University, Natchitoches, LA.