HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jack Wynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 20:55:36 -0400
To: Carole Nash,
      We have done some work on the CCC in the Forest Service, since there
are a lot of CCC camps on National Forest lands.  As you did, I had good
results for talking ot the CCC boys and their spouces.  One of them even
came up with a series of camp newspapers, which were a great help.
      Some of my archaeology colleagues went to the National Archives in DC
and the surrounding towns to find records of the camps they worked on.  I
did a little of that myself.  Some of the files are very good, others don't
tell you mich unless you wanted to know what they ate. There didn't seem to
be handy lists of what they accomplished by company or what their camps
looked like, except in the "annuals" or yearbooks some of the camps and
areas had.  There were lots of photos in some of those, however.
      Apparently the data is in several archival locations, depending on the
groups, and part of the country.  I've retired, and no longer have that
stuff at my fingertips, but you might contact Robert Morgan in South
Carolina or Robert Pasquil in Alabama.  They formed a "posse" to take on
that challenge, and charted their findings.  Try [log in to unmask] or
[log in to unmask]   if these don't work, try substituting "b" for the
initial r's!   Both guys are called Bob.
   good luck!
cheers, jack wynn