HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alexy Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 14:51:15 -0800
Aaron,
In the early 1990's NZ Historic Places Trust excavated the French Marist
Mission at Pompallier House, Russell (Kororareka) Bay of Islands.
Pompallier was built by the Marists of pise'/rammed earth and was used
as a printery and storehouse.  At the back of the building in the early
1840's a tannery was ran by James Callaghan an Irish Catholic immigrant.

Evidence suggests the first tan pit was sunk into the clay floor and
covered by a lean-to.  A free standing vat was also used for the
traditional French de-hairing process.  More vats were added overtime.
Callaghan ran a few cattle, goats and pigs that provided hides for the
tannery.  He was also associated with another Irish Catholic, John
Callman, a shoemaker.  Their businesses may have been run in tandem.
Offcuts recovered during the building work indicate that shoes were
being made along with other leather goods.

I don't have a copy of the archaeological report but I'm sure you can
obtain it from our librarian at central office- try Elaine Marland at
[log in to unmask]    Also ask her to send you a copy of The
Historic Places Trust Magazine #44, November 1993.  It contains a
summary of the work carried out at Pompallier including the excavation
of the tannery.

Currently the building and site are being used as a tannery and
bookbindery as a method of providing an active interpretation of the
place for visitors.  Substantial research was carried out to provide an
accurate interpretation of historic tanning and binding processes.  I
don't know if there is a document that compiles that research data but
its worth asking Elaine when you contact her.

--Alexy Simmons
Regional Archaeologist/ Officer NZHPT
Central North Island Regional Office