Aaron,
In the early 1990's NZ Historic Places Trust excavated the French Marist
Mission at Pompallier House, Russell (Kororareka) Bay of Islands.
Pompallier was built by the Marists of pise'/rammed earth and was used
as a printery and storehouse.  At the back of the building in the early
1840's a tannery was ran by James Callaghan an Irish Catholic immigrant.

Evidence suggests the first tan pit was sunk into the clay floor and
covered by a lean-to.  A free standing vat was also used for the
traditional French de-hairing process.  More vats were added overtime.
Callaghan ran a few cattle, goats and pigs that provided hides for the
tannery.  He was also associated with another Irish Catholic, John
Callman, a shoemaker.  Their businesses may have been run in tandem.
Offcuts recovered during the building work indicate that shoes were
being made along with other leather goods.

I don't have a copy of the archaeological report but I'm sure you can
obtain it from our librarian at central office- try Elaine Marland at
[log in to unmask]    Also ask her to send you a copy of The
Historic Places Trust Magazine #44, November 1993.  It contains a
summary of the work carried out at Pompallier including the excavation
of the tannery.

Currently the building and site are being used as a tannery and
bookbindery as a method of providing an active interpretation of the
place for visitors.  Substantial research was carried out to provide an
accurate interpretation of historic tanning and binding processes.  I
don't know if there is a document that compiles that research data but
its worth asking Elaine when you contact her.

--Alexy Simmons
Regional Archaeologist/ Officer NZHPT
Central North Island Regional Office