HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"William B. Liebeknecht" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 15:12:51 -0400
Tanya,

You don't have a second shaft yet.  Depending on the crop I would place a
small auger hole (between the rows of the working crops) to see if you have
a second shaft.  If in fact you have a second shaft it does not mean it is
not a cistern.  From the dimensions you gave it does not sound like a root
cellar.  most cistern do not go all that deep, about five to six feet.
Where wells and privies generally are much deeper.  Wheat storage in the
eastern part of the country is normally above ground to keep the grain dry
but maybe in your climate it could work differently.  I would think that it
would get wet during periods of rain and cause mold to ruin the crop.  Just
a thought.

Bill Liebeknecht
Principal Investigator
Hunter Research, Inc.