HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 07:33:54 -0600
Again, thank you, Andrea.

The surgeon general's warning did not appear until 1964, according to the

Encyclopedia Britannica (just in case you were worried that this thread was

getting off topic, Anita.)  See my website at

http://groups.msn.com/20thCenturyArtifacts/cigarettedates.msnw for the

dating of common 20th century artifacts. As you all see,  I have a whole

page on cigarette dates.

However, Allen, it is interesting to know that doctors had connected lung

disease and tobacco for decades before. The historic figure on whom my

novel is based died of TB in 1913. I hypothesize that his fondness for

cigars (imagined, of course, there is no documentation that he smoked

cigars) exacerbated the disease. He was a bartender, then a saloon owner.

Given the presence of a cigar case in every picture of a saloon that I have

ever seen from the period, I imagine the places were filled with cigar

smoke constantly. If the saloon men didn't die of kidney disease (which I

DO have documentation of), they died of lung disease (which I also have

documentation of).

Unlike another reader's suggestion that my rich man would be likely to

smoke a pipe, I believe the cigar was much more likely in the saloon

setting. While I, like most of you who have dug up saloons, have found

tobacco pipes, I have also found parts of cigar boxes. The bits of cigars,

their labels, etc. would be so fragile that they would not preserve like

the tobacco pipes. Therefore, the likelihood of finding evidence of cigars

is not as great as finding tobacco pipes. We get a skewed picture in the

archeological record. I prefer the photographic and newspaper record for

understanding how much men prefered cigars over pipes in the saloon.

Anyway, thank you all for your contribution to this discussion. I have

finished the first draft of my novel. It is based on the life of a man who

lived in Skagway, Alaska from 1901 to 1909, then Seward, Alaska from 1909

to 1913, before he died tragically at the age of 40. He was a bartender,

saloon owner, city councilman, and mayor, then received an appointment as

game warden from the governnor of Alaska. I suspect, had he lived, he would

have become a state legislator, and perhaps even a delegate to Congress. He

was highly connected to powerful people in Alaska, including the Guggenheim

syndicate. When he died, he had caught a bad cold on an outing in the

winter-time. I got to wondering if he got crosswise with some powerful

people and the cold was no accident. Hence the novel.

His rich friend was also a fascinating saloon man who ran a gambling hall

in Skagway and had a wife connected to the Hearst fortune. I changed it to

the Guggenheim Syndicate to make it more interesting.

Anyway, I've thanked you all in my acknowledgments section. Now, if anyone

knows how I go about finding an agent to read my book, please let me know

off-line!

Cathy

Catherine Holder Spude ¨ Archeologist ¨ Cultural Resources Management ¨

National Park Service – Intermountain Region ¨ 505.988.6831Voice ¨

505.988.6876 Fax

 The National Park Service cares for special places saved by the American

              people so that all may experience our heritage.

                      Andrea Marroquin

                      <amarroquin@EARTH        To:       [log in to unmask]

                      LINK.NET>                cc:       (bcc: Cathy Spude/SANTAFE/NPS)

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Quality whiskey and cigars

                      HISTORICAL

                      ARCHAEOLOGY

                      08/31/2004 09:49

                      PM AST

                      Please respond to

                      HISTORICAL

                      ARCHAEOLOGY

        It was actually $8 for a box of 100.  Still sounds expensive to me,

but maybe less so than I led you to believe.  My database was a little

unclear on pricing because I was interested in sorting groups of

merchandise according to price ranges.  I had placed it in the $5-$10

category.  I went back and looked it up.  I actually have a copy of

this ad, which was printed in Collier's Weekly, on June 20, 1908, p.

25.

        The copy reads:

SMOKE IT

        Don't judge a cigar until you have tried it.  Every man likes a

certain cigar because he has cultivated a taste for it, and smoking the

same brand becomes a habit.  Give the Ordero Cigar a trial.  The

chances are you will like it and will want to smoke a cigar that is

always uniform.

        The "Ordero" is a Hand-Made Long Filler, made of the best quality

of

genuine imported Havana and Sumatra.

        The Ordero Cigars are made to your order only, with your name on

the

box, each layer being packed separately in a sealed package.  Price

$8.00 for 100 delivered.  Or a trial box of 12 will be sent you for

$1.00.  Your money refunded if unsatisfactory.  Order a box now.

JOSEPH R. RUGG, Est. 1843.  740 Market St., Blairsville, Pa.

        Strange not to see a surgeon's general warning on tobacco products.

If I recall correctly the FDA was created in response to some patent

medicine scandals around 1906 or so.  I am not sure when surgeon's

general warnings began to appear, or if they was related to this

movement when they did appear.

Andrea Marroquin