HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 07:25:27 -0500
Of course I don't know the particular situation in Little Rock, but here's
what I think.

I have found that local "historic commissions," even those that are part of
a "certified local government" program, are often - or at least sometimes -
populated by political appointees who can have very little knowledge about
historic preservation, especially the post-modern politically correct
version of historic perservation that we in the profession know.  Instead,
they often operate more as local arbiters of style.  Of course there are
some very good local preservation commissions in communities that have
resident professionals or knowledgeable citizens to draw from,  so please no
evil email from those of you that serve on these boards.

On the other hand, it might also be unfair for us to blame the preservation
commission.  They obviously have the support of the town's governing
officials since the police were involved.  Also they were only enforcing a
valid ordinance.  So, although this may seem extreme to us, I suppose we
have to assume that the Little Rock Community supports the ordinance, and
the Commission is merely the "front man" set up to buffer all the criticism
from the elected officials (and, alas,  to give the public the opinion that
"preservationists" are to blame for all that is wrong with society).
Besides, I'm sure this lady can appeal the Commission's judgement to the
city council.

By the way, that's my personal opinion, and does not neccessarily reflect
the opinion of my employer.

Linda Derry