HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Pfeiffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:11:11 -0500
In the Cascade mountains in Oregon, I have lived in several places whose
only heat was wood buring stoves.  How much you burn depends on the
efficiency of your heater.  Most folks used 4 1/2 to 6 cords (full 4x4x8).
While living in Eureka in far NW Montana, most folks used 6-8.  Winter can
stay long there with snow on the ground, even in the river valleys, from 4
to 5 1/2 months out of the year.

Smoke.

Smoke (Michael A.) Pfeiffer, RPA
Ozark-St. Francis National Forests
605 West Main Street
Russellville, Arkansas 72801
(479) 968-2354  Ext. 233
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

             Nathan Thomas
             <Nathan_Thomas@bl
             m.gov>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  [log in to unmask]
             HISTORICAL                                                 cc
             ARCHAEOLOGY
             <[log in to unmask]                                     Subject
             >                         Domestic Wood Consumption

             09/20/2004 09:47
             AM

             Please respond to
                HISTORICAL
                ARCHAEOLOGY

Hello,  does anyone know the amount of fire wood (cords or Meters Squared)
a family soley dependent on wood for cooking and heating would use?

I am trying to figure out how much wood a small ghost town in Nevada (cold
desert) would have used.  I understand there are a tremendous amount of
variables, including stove type, wood type, home size and environment.

In speaking to some of the local residents that rely on wood for heating,
they are using around 2 1/2 to 4 cords a year.  One person out here grew
up in a home that relied on wood for cooking and heating.  Although he
does not remember, he thinks they used around 10 cords.

Thank you,

Nathan Thomas
Ely Nevada