HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nathan Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 07:47:33 -0700
Hello,  does anyone know the amount of fire wood (cords or Meters Squared)
a family soley dependent on wood for cooking and heating would use?

I am trying to figure out how much wood a small ghost town in Nevada (cold
desert) would have used.  I understand there are a tremendous amount of
variables, including stove type, wood type, home size and environment.

In speaking to some of the local residents that rely on wood for heating,
they are using around 2 1/2 to 4 cords a year.  One person out here grew
up in a home that relied on wood for cooking and heating.  Although he
does not remember, he thinks they used around 10 cords.

Thank you,

Nathan Thomas
Ely Nevada