HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chris Sperling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 11:54:57 -0500
Dear Hist Arch,

During recent excavations in Southern Virginia, we recovered several
interesting glass bottle fragments.  The green bottles are free blown
and exhibit a distinctive, low mameleon push-up pontil, applied string
lip.  The body is full of bubbles.  The color is on the light side of
green, with a distinctive quality.  The bottles were recovered from a
probable American Civil War feature context.  The bottles closely
resemble one pictured in /Antique Glass Bottles: Their History and
Evolution (1500 - 1860) /(Van den Bossche 2001:322(3)) and to a "Jules
Pernod pastis bottle" pictured on the BLM historic glass bottles website
(http://www.blm.gov/historic_bottles/Typing/wine/julespernod.jpg).

I was wondering whether these combined characteristics are diagnostic of
mid-19th c. French-produced bottles and if they specifically held pastis
or were generic.  Any information, in particular regarding social
context, is welcome.

Anyone who would like can contact me and I will send pictures.

Thanks
Christopher Sperling