HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Muckle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:39:15 -0700
I believe Cabrillo College in California has something like a trade
school in archaeology. Part theory, part field and lab skills, and I
think some archival skills as well. The college has a one year
certificate and a two year associate degree designed to get students
entry level positions in CRM firms. The certificate and degree programs
can be laddered into university degrees. I have heard that some people
with  university degrees go back to Cabrillo to learn some of the
practical skills necessary for CRM work.

Bob Muckle

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/20/04 4:19 PM >>>
Back in the early 1980s a fellow grad student and I had many beers while
working out the details of how an archaeology trade school program might
be
implemented. The goal was to train people to be field directors and crew
chiefs. We
wanted to teach field and lab methods. Teach people good methods and
they
could work anywhere, was what we believed. A few days later we presented
our idea
to a senior archaeology professor and had our heads handed to us. The
look of
indignation we got was quite enlightening. After more beer we let it go.
LM