Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:21:41 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
  One potential source of data that is often overlooked is the Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) which has a number of reports related to standing (at least at the time) roundhouses and repair facilities. 

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/habs_haer/

Although these are not overtly archaeological and often are mostly architectural and engineering documentation, the wealth of data in these reports may be helpful for understanding an archaeological deposit. I have done some work with the railroad roundhouse and shop complex in Jamestown, California which might be of some help. If you have any questions I would be happy to assist you. 

Stathi Pappas

Efstathios I. Pappas, MS
 Doctoral Student
 Department of Anthropology/096
 University of Nevada, Reno
 Reno, NV 89557
 (775) 323-5730   
 -----Original Message-----
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Sent: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 7:07 AM
 Subject: Roundhouse excavations

I am looking for information on previous archaeological excavations of railroad roundhouses or repair shops. My prefered area of interest is late 19th to 20th century North Aemrican, but information from other areas/periods would also be of appreciated. You are welcome to reply either on or off list. thanks in advanse for any help, leads, or references. 
 Melissa Diamanti 
 Arcaheological & Historical Consultants, Inc. 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2