HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:58:58 -0400
How much wood you consume also depends on the insulation level of the house
or cabin. My grandfather owned a cabin in the Laguna Mountains of San Diego
County, California in the 1950s that had been built with thick lumber and dense
insulation. One log on the fire and the place heated up to almost intolerable
levels for many hours. We slept in small alcoves under the eaves on feather
bedding and believe me, that heat had us to sleep by 9:00 pm every night. When we
went out to the privy in the wee hours, it was well below zero outside. When
we woke up in the morning, the house was still warm. Under those
circumstances, a cord of wood would last more than one season.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.