HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 19:15:34 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Automatic digest processor
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Rob Mann wrote:
>>I am looking
>>for sources, primary or secondary, historical or archaeological that
>>relate architectural hardware such as H and HL hinges to house size and
>>quality and hence potentially to class or staus.
I can't remember anything which looks at hinges as status indicators.
Either between houses, or within them (e.g. different
styles/sizes/quality used in public rooms/private rooms/servant's
rooms).

Second Lives: A Survey of Architectural Artefact Collections in the
United States lists dozens of collections which will be of interest to
you.

US references:
Forman, Henry Chandlee (1941) "The Old Hardware of Jamestown" in
Antiques, Vol 39, No. 1, pp 31-2 New York

Sonn, Albert H. Early American Wrought Iron,

Not sure whether this is just Canadian:
Priess, Peter J. (1978) Annotated bibliography for the study of building
hardware, Ottawa: Parks Canada

If you are interested in comparable English material, then Linda Hall
and Nat Alcock's 'Fixtures and Fittings in Dated Houses 1567-1763' will
be of interest - this looks at vernacular and 'gentry' houses, and
excludes great houses.

Butter, F.J. (1958) Encyclopaedia of Locks and Builders Hardware, An,
Willenhall: Joseph Parkes & Sons Ltd is less historical, but refers to
many manufacturers who exported widely.

Do let me know if any of your hinges (or other hardware) is marked with
an IIXII pattern - I am interested in seeing if this is used exclusively
on material associated with the Low Countries and/or if it has 'magical'
purpose.

Best wishes to all,
--
Pat Reynolds