HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Conner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 11:25:44 -0600
I know this has been discussed before, but I wanted to get an update on
people's thinking on digital cameras as we are planning on buying one soon.
No apologies for cross posting.

The camera will have two main functions: artifact photos in the lab and
building photos in the field. We don't plan on taking it to excavations on a
regular basis, but will use it for architectural surveys and sometimes
archaeological surveys. On the road we will be downloading to a Mac
Powerbook, probably with an adapter that fits in a PCMCIA slot, and would
prefer USB connection in the lab.

The photos will be used mainly for  producing 4x6 to 5x7 black and white
prints for use in reports or with building survey forms. They need to be 200
to 300 dpi for printing on a 600-1200 dpi laser printer. Occasional color
work will also be done.

Our photo services department recommends the Nikon Coolpix; they have a 950
I have used, though we would probably go for the 990 if we get a Nikon. The
main disadvantage I see with it is the expensive remote cable.

Any thoughts on the Nikon or other types?

Mike Conner

Dr. Michael Conner
Assistant Director
Center for Archaeological Research