HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 12:37:52 -0800
I'll jump on the ignorancy band wagon.  Just WHERE does one go to get
their blobs x-rayed?  I wouldn't think all or many medical places would
do it too willingly (wouldn't have the Time).  So...where else is this
available?

Curating a box (12x15x10") cost $700 ea. here in San Diego Co.  Ouch
(you can imagine the joy the developer usually has when they get to pay
this fee; so they gladly would like us Not to save Everything).

X-rays seem a better way to go...since, as you state, if not properly
conserved...the corrosion continues, and you end up with a pile of dust
in the bag/box.

For some yrs. there was a ferrous cup included in a display of historic
artifacts at an adobe ranch complex...and I pointed out how the cup
continued to 'shed'...which wasn't too attractive.  After some 3 yrs, I
see the cup has now been removed from the display.