HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"(Mike Polk)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 12:59:50 EDT
In a message dated 9/29/1998 10:55:33 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< During excavation of a turn of the century privy in Feltville, NJ this
 summer, Montclair State University's field school recovered a wad of
 newspaper stuffed in a paint can.  The privy was filled in about 1914.  The
 newspaper, which is apparently contemporary with the filling of the privy was
 waterlogged but partially legible when recovered.  Since then the newspaper
 has dried out but is still intact.  My question is, is there any way to
 conserve and perhaps eventually read the newspaper without destroying it in
 the process.

 Thanks for your help.

 Feel free to reply off list.

 Sincerely,

 Richard Veit, Ph.D.

PLEASE - Respond ON the list.  I have the same situation with newspaper
associated with a cache of ammunition which could date to ca. 1900.  The
newspaper dates and/or content may be our only clue to the date of the cache
and its creator.  It is drying out now, perhaps too much and is becoming
brittle before we have a chance to examine it in detail.

Mike Polk
Sagebrush Consultants, L.L.C.