HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 14:33:09 -0400
Tom Wheaton, Executive Director of the American Cultural Resources Assciation
(ACRA), has announced that the recently approved ACHP Section 106 Regulations
have been posted to the ACRA-L webpage.

In announcing this posting Tom said:

"Last week, I said I would wait until the ACHP had had a chance to review
and pass the draft regs on to the Federal Register before I published them on
our site.  Howver, after scanning them, I feel that there are a number of
reasons why I should publish them now.  For one, we have waited for nearly
four years for these regs and have provided input into previous drafts; two,
there has been a cloak of secrecy about this last iteration, and no one has
seen a draft since last year; three, these regs will affect how we do
business for years to come and as taxpayers we are also paying for them; and
four, the present draft skips the issue of THPO involvement
altogether (this section is "reserved" in the new draft)."

"To read and download the new regs visit the ACRA website at

http://www.acra-crm.org

and follow the link for the new draft regs.  These documents are not
"official" but were provided by Donald Craib, who vouches for their
authenticity and kindly allowed his name to be used here.  This link leads to
links for the preamble to the new regs (actually much longer than the regs
themselves, giving some of the history of Section 106) and for the draft
archaeological data recovery guidance.  There is also a
separate link from our home page to the archaeological data recovery
guidance.  I have made one editorial change, a typo identifying subsection
"(46)" when subsection "(6)" was clearly intended.  I have also provided
hotlinks within the main document to make it easier to navigate.  Other
than that they are unchanged from how I recieved them.  These are large
documents, 110k for the regs and 195k for the preamble.  And will take a
while to download.  The guidance is a more modest 20k."