HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 2 May 2011 13:40:23 -0400
A good observation.

The basic site report should provide sufficient stats and quantification to
not only identify functions  attached to a formation but also to allow for
the visualization of the formation and provide for analysis that would
identify the individual site as a subset of all other sites of the same
function. Communities are not always uniform. How can the report be used to
account for individual variations and sub cultures- not just economic. Ride
through any functionally uniform neighborhood
(residential-cooking-housekeeping) and you will find significant variation.
Site reports should provide sufficient quantification beyond functional and
bit counts to allow for the recognition of patterns should they be
projectable from the artifacts and contexts encountered.

Conrad Bladey
Professional Archeologist
COLAS did several phase 1 projects for the MHT and developers in the
past.....