HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William Lockhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2013 20:43:00 +0000
The two sources below are both collectors' literature.  I know of no comprehensive professional studies on stoneware bottles.  There are numerous other collectors' studies on local/area stoneware bottles (e.g., Mike Miller's book on Arizona bottles).  There are some professional works on stoneware mineral bottles in Germany, but they are written in German.

Graci has what appears to be a good overview of Stoneware bottles, and his work seems reliable, although my specialty area is glass bottles.  Tod von Mechow is an excellent researcher, and I highly recommend his website.  I have worked with Tod, and he conducts very thorough research.  He is one of the most knowledgeable people I know about soda and beer bottles in the U.S.  Tod has a brief writeup on both Port-Dundas and Kennedy.

I also realize that many archaeologists have a built-in bias against ALL collectors based on the actions of SOME.  If you dislike collector sources, feel free to ignore this.

Bill

Graci, David
	1995 American Stoneware Bottles:  A History and Study.  Calem Publishing, South Hadley, Massachusetts.

von Mechow, Tod
	2013 "Soda & Beer Bottles of North America: Bottle Attributes - Beer & Soda Bottle Manufacturers."  http://www.sodasandbeers.com/SABBottleManufBeerSoda.htm