Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2013 20:43:00 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
The two sources below are both collectors' literature.  I know of no comprehensive professional studies on stoneware bottles.  There are numerous other collectors' studies on local/area stoneware bottles (e.g., Mike Miller's book on Arizona bottles).  There are some professional works on stoneware mineral bottles in Germany, but they are written in German.

Graci has what appears to be a good overview of Stoneware bottles, and his work seems reliable, although my specialty area is glass bottles.  Tod von Mechow is an excellent researcher, and I highly recommend his website.  I have worked with Tod, and he conducts very thorough research.  He is one of the most knowledgeable people I know about soda and beer bottles in the U.S.  Tod has a brief writeup on both Port-Dundas and Kennedy.

I also realize that many archaeologists have a built-in bias against ALL collectors based on the actions of SOME.  If you dislike collector sources, feel free to ignore this.

Bill

Graci, David
	1995 American Stoneware Bottles:  A History and Study.  Calem Publishing, South Hadley, Massachusetts.

von Mechow, Tod
	2013 "Soda & Beer Bottles of North America: Bottle Attributes - Beer & Soda Bottle Manufacturers."  http://www.sodasandbeers.com/SABBottleManufBeerSoda.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Susan Walter
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ceramic ale bottles

Feb. 14, 2013

Hello Histarchers,

Ages ago I requested assistance from you about possible date codes for stoneware ale bottles, ie "PORT-DUNDAS...POTTERY CO." and "KENNEDY...POTTERY" and "MACINTYRE"; these and several others are at a site I'm working on.

At the time, there was no comprehensive reference on bottles of this type.

Has anyone done further research on these items?

Thanks for you help,
S. Walter

ATOM RSS1 RSS2