HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
JAMES MURPHY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:17:48 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, February 12, 2004 1:55 am
Subject: Re: Blue-bodied earthenware

> While I can't judge whether or not James Murphy and I are talking
> about more
> or less the same material, my examples clearly aren't from an
> 1890's Ohio
> pottery as they pre-date the 1890s and were found on British and
> Australiansites.  None of which feature Ohioan industrial pottery.
> James' example is
> no doubt more directly relevant to North America.

My point was not that your material may have come from Ohio (I believe I also mentioned England and Germany)  but that jasperware was produced with bodies of different color as early as the 19th C.  A point also made by Tim Riordan, to more effect.  Wedgwood in fact continues to make jasperware in various colors today.

Jasperware body is originally white with coloring pigments added or, in later years, with dipped bodies.

I don't see how you are distinguishing what you have from jasperware, which IS usually a monochrome body, unless you mean that yours lacks the decorate applique characteristic of much jasperware.

James L. Murphy