HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allen Vegotsky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2006 20:41:48 -0400
Hi Folks-
Thought I would add my comments to the Introductions.>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Who are you?
	I am Allen Vegotsky, an avocational archaeologist and long-term volunteer
(about 25 years) on archaeological sites and labs.  My educational
background is in chemistry and biochemistry (Ph.D.) and I am sort of
retired after many years in biomedical research and administration.  I have
had a long-term interest in the history of pharmacy and medicine and am a
member of the American Institute of the History of Pharmacy.  Occasionally
I have been a Consultant for interpretation of pharmacy-related artifacts,
especially patent medicines.  I am just about done with an
inventory/catalog/analysis of about 5000 pharmacy-related artifacts dating
from the 1870s to the 1950s that are in a drug store museum in Lumpkin,
Georgia.

> 2) Dirtiest moment in the field.
	The "dirtiest moment" doesn't specify it must have occurred to me so it
brings to mind an excavation on a 19th century cemetery site in Delaware.
A heavy downpour had created a layer of mud throughout the site especially
on a mound of soil about 20 feel high.  The younger set found the mound
irresistible after the rain and during a break,  one after another climbed
the pyramid-like structure, sat at the peak, and attempted to slide down in
a seated position.  It was literally a slippery slope and no one was able
to remain upright as they slid down.  The experience created interesting
patterns on tee-shirts and exposed anatomy.

> 3) Your idea of the best dressed archaeologist, i.e. what practical
> gear should they be wearing?
	I have little to add to the thread on this subject, although I do have a
favorite floppy hat inscribed "SLIP.  SLAP.  SLOP."  In general, I select
wearing apparel that I will not use for any other purpose.