HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2006 08:35:59 +1000
Okay listers, I'll take the plunge ... as the first (it seems)
Australian to post a blurb.

Bit scary (we can be a shy bunch...), but the term 'lurker' doesn't
sit well with me so here I go...

• Who am I?  Graham Knuckey. Began study in my mid-twenties and
graduated from University of New England (yep, we've got one here in
Oz too!) in 1991 with a BA (Hons-Class 1) in palaeoanthropology. Was
offered a tutor's position in my department in 1992 and worked that
position until 1998. In 2000 I submitted my doctorate (also in
palaeoanthropology and also at UNE). Am now a consultant working out
of Brisbane, Queensland.  My background is in Australian prehistory
and, as you'd expect, the palaeoanth. side of things but I often find
myself mixed up in 'historical-industrial-non-Indigenous' projects
and have found this list helpful at various times.

• Dirtiest moment... I can't really recall a dirtiest moment but the
grubbiest I've felt in the field was the five weeks spent near Boulia
in western Queensland (not far south of the McKinlay Pub AKA:
Walkabout Creek Hotel ...), without any sort of shower/bath. You
really get to know yourself ... There was only the two of us and we
were lucky it was May (Autumn) not Jan-Feb.

• Practical gear ...  I think whatever the individual finds
comfortable as long as a few basic rules are strictly adhered to. All
skin is covered/shaded to avoid sun/wind burn and sturdy, solid boots
are worn that protect the feet. A good dose of common sense never
hurt either.

Thanks.

Sincerely
GrahamK
Graham Knuckey PhD
ARCHAEO Cultural Heritage Services,
369 Waterworks Road, Ashgrove, 4060. Qld.
P.O. Box 333, The Gap, 4061. Qld.

Office - (07) 3366 8488 • Mobile - 0427 007 278
Fax - (07) 3366 0255 • E-mail - [log in to unmask]

www.archaeo.com.au

"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there
is a rumour going around the shop that some of us are some day going
to come to life.   C.S. Lewis.