HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"John P. McCarthy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 07:02:40 -0500

 Tom Wheaton and I are putting together a session on African-American
 Archaeology at the World Archaeological Conference in Capetown in January,
 1999.  We are soliciting papers that together will present to archaeologists
 from other countries a view of the field of African-American archaeology.
 The idea is to provide an overview of the development and breadth of
 African-American archaeology in the western hemisphere along with specific
 project examples.  The hope is to interest African archaeologists in what we
 are doing and make mutually rewarding contacts that would be useful on both
 sides of the Atlantic.

 A commitment to be present at the conference, a commitment to prepare a paper,
 and a brief synopsis of the paper will be required by Friday, March 13. Tom and
 I will make the final selection.

 Since travel to South Africa is a major financial decision, check the WAC
 website at http://www.uct.ac.za/depts/age/wac for information on costs and
 airfares.  If interested, please contact Tom ([log in to unmask])
 know by the end of the day Friday, March 13, 1998.  Please do not respond to
 the list.

        John

        John P. McCarthy, SOPA
        Sr. Project Manager - Cultural Resources
        Greenhorne & O'Mara, Inc.
        9001 Edmonston Road
        Greenbelt, MD 20770