HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 09:57:55 EST
Dear John and Tom (and everyone):

I will be presenting a paper at WAC 4 in the Public Archaeology session, but,
as you both know, I also am doing a book on what remains the only fugitive
slave site ever excavated in Ontario, so if you would like a short piece on
the Blackburn site in Toronto and/or a discussion of Canada's role in the
resettlement of fugitive slaves as the terminus of the Underground Railroad, I
would be happy to do this.  Perhaps as part of a panel discussion, or else
some sort of summary on the state of African-Canadian archaeology?

Otherwise I would be pleased to present a paper if you think it would be
appropriate.  Also, you will want to contact Laird Niven in Nova Scotia about
the Birchtown excavations, which focus on the Black Loyalist settlement there
of people who were resettled after fighting on the side of the Crown in the
American Revolution.  It's a very important project.

Good for you for doing a session at WAC!  Your efforts are much appreciated.

Karolyn Smardz