HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 07:12:51 -0600
Thanks for the suggestion, Allen. I'll give it some thought.

Actually, just yesterday, I remembered an old friend I had while I was

digging in Skagway a couple of decades ago. I wrote to his much younger

wife last night and asked her what he used to call them. His father went up

with the gold rush. I used to hang out with them at their cabin up in

British Columbia on weekends. There, all they had was a little house out

back, but for the life of me, I can't remember what Paul called it. The

terms seem so regional and I've been all over the county. I think it might

have been "outhouse" but that seems so Midwest to me, because that's where

my family was from and that's what they always called it.

I'll keep you all posted.

Cathy

Catherine Holder Spude ¨ Archeologist ¨ Cultural Resources Management ¨

National Park Service – Intermountain Region ¨ 505.988.6831Voice ¨

505.988.6876 Fax

 The National Park Service cares for special places saved by the American

              people so that all may experience our heritage.

                      "Allen Vegotsky"

                      <a.vegotsky@worldn        To:       <[log in to unmask]>

                      et.att.net>               cc:

                                                Subject:  privies

                      09/08/2004 07:56

                      PM AST

Cathy,

I've enjoyed the Histarch threads on cigars, whiskey& privies, and wish you

luck on your novel.  Let us know when it is available.

I've thought some more about privies & all the names.  Another idea about

privy names would be to have your characters in the tavern have their own

pet name for their privy.  For example, I think that Montgomery's Ward (or

Monty's Ward) would do; having been so named by the users based on the

presence of Montgomery Ward Catalogs in the privy usable both as toilet

paper substitute and as reading matter when the weather permitted.

Allen