From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 03:23:34 -0700
Don,

>By the way, I don't have any Joplin recordings.  Any recommendations in
>addition to Ron's? How about Rifkin on Nonesuch?

William Bolcom wrote and plays an unusually touching ragtime piece called
something like "Ghost Rag"?? dedicated to his father who'd died.

My favorites of Joplin's are the ones you don't get to hear often, such as
"Wall Street"...  "Bethena" "Solace" "Gladiolus"...

Rifkin was not at all bad.  Played them in a bittersweet way.  Not that
unlike Joplin's which, in a recording I have somewhere, was recorded when
he was not in best state.  Rhythm (of all things) very uncertain.

(And, AndyC, yes, how could I forget!:-)

- A
http://www.andrys.com/books.html