From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 09:18:12 PST
Penguin Books has embarked on a musical venture by offering older Polygram
recordings at relatively low price.  On the face of it, this is not a big
deal.  However, Penguin's strategy is very interesting and represents, as
far as I know, a precedent in the recording market.

The strategy involves having liner notes written by well-known and regarded
authors and essayists.  Penguin's thinking is that folks who are avid
readers but not avid music buyers will purchase the cd's for the liner
notes; the music becomes an added bonus.

I don't know if the strategy will work, but it's an alien strategy to me in
that the music is secondary to the liner notes.  For me, liner notes just
don't carry weight in my puchasing decisions.

Don Satz