From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:09:06 PST
Robin Newton wrote:

>It is unacceptable that Levine charges a fee of 25,000 to work for
>2 nights with the Philharmonia to conduct a piece which he must know
>like the back of his hand(Verdi Requiem); it is unacceptable that
>in this same orchestra all the musicians are forced to accept a pay
>cut of 2% at the same time.

It's acceptable to me because it makes sense.  "Stars" pull in audiences;
orchestra members do not.  For Levine to make a huge fee, someone or some
entity must be agreeable to paying it.  I really do not understand the
hostility that some folks have to a few classical artists reaping large
pay-offs.  This is the world of entertainment.

Also, why would Levine make less money for conducting a work familiar to
him? That consideration has never impacted the fees of entertainers.

Overall, I'd like to see fees and salaries keep going up, and not just
for the "stars." Unfortunately, there's a surplus of classical musicians.
Until this situation changes, orchestra members will have some hard choices
to make.

Don Satz