From:
Luis M Afonso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 10:51:30 +0000
My only contact with the music of John Field are the two Chandos recordings
of Piano Concertos 1-3 and 5.  They are played by O'Rourke.  Since I can't
compare him with the other contenders (I have heard a bit of the new Staier
recording, but I was in a 'not going to buy repeated works' day...) the
only thing I want to say is that I trully love his recordings.  The music
itself is very good (an Irish Chopin who borrows themes from folk songs to
Mozart and others).  Field must have been a very good pianist and that can
be seen in his work.  O'Rourke is another fine pianist, very sensitive,
maybe a bit reserved in the outer movements - their companions (the London
Mozart Players under Bamert) are more incisive in these sections.  The
orchestral support is very suitable to my taste (I love the LMP) and the
recordings have a very natural and detailed sound.  I never found any need
for duplicates (I am seeking the other volumes in the series), but now Don
awaked my curiosity for other approaches...

Luis