From:
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 12:31:46 -0600
Jocelyn Wang responded to me:

>>...  The only time I have a problem with it is when the
>>music is played so damn slow with the repeats (Haydn can suffer from
>>this), or when the repeats are taken despite the great length of the
>>movement (Norrington's take on Schubert's Ninth Symphony).
>
>Any composer will suffer from his music being played to slowly.  This
>has nothing to do with observing repeats, but, rather, observing tempo
>markings.  I attended a performance of Schubert's 9th with Norrington
>guest-conducting the LA Phil a couple of years ago.  He did observe all
>the repeats, and it was marvellous.  The composer's judgement is to be
>trusted more than that of any performer who would play contrary to those
>instructions.

I agree with your assessment on music suffering due to slow tempos.
I think my problem comes in when Haydn's minuets especially are played
too slowly to begin with:  I always prefer the peasant dance to the
aristocratic with him, even if the tempo is marked "Moderato".  Adding
repeats to such a slow performance for me makes it doubly tedious.

As far as my Norrington reference, I should have been clearer:  I was
referring to him taking both repeat of the Scherzo movement again *after*
the trio section had been completed.  It turns this movement into a very
long exercise for me as a listener.  I am in agreement with you regarding
the observance of repeats, be they occur in minuets or sonata-form
movements or what have you.

Mark K. Ehlert