From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 12:14:42 -0500
Richard Todd wrote:

>Bert Bailey suggests that a concert goer approaching an Angela Hewitt concert
>should hope . . .
>
>>That she not play Messiaen..?
>
>Have we identified the one person in the universe who doesn't like Hewitt's
>Messiaen?

Somehow, I doubt that.  I regret that the humour I'd intended in response
to Don's witty missive somehow got lost.

My posting was about trying to instil in two of my children an interest
in classical music by taking them to a local Hewitt recital.  (Being from
these parts, RT, you no doubt were also there.) Her Messiaen CD had just
come out, and I was either unaware of that or I expected her to do some
of the Bach that I enjoy ...and had felt sure would also appeal to my kids.

We even had the choice seats in the house:  the floor, just a few feet
from her piano.  But alas, it was an all-Messiaen program.  From what I
could gather, there wasn't even one minute-long stretch of her recital that
appealed to them.  And I fully sympathized:  it's complicated music.  In
any case, my effort was clearly a fiasco.

I continue to play CM for my children -- though when it comes to Hewitt I
stick to the Bach.

Bert B