From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 12:05:15 -0500
The recent 'Kennedy Centre Honors,' a ceremony awarding achievements in the
arts hosted by President and Mrs.  Clinton, honoured Clint Eastwood, Angela
Lansbury, Chuck Berry, Placido Domingo and Mikhail Baryshnikov.  It was
televised throughout North America.

A ballet showcasing the talents of Baryshnikov's troupe was danced to a
piece of music for piano and violin that I very much enjoyed.  The ballet
featured about a dozen men and women, and was followed by the introduction
and brief appearance on stage of Baryshnikov's associates and supporters.

Does anyone know the piece, and/or its composer?

My wife at first thought it might have been by Stravinsky; it certainly
sounded akin to his neo-classical works of the 20s and 30s.  More likely,
it might have been by Adams, with its repetitive pulsing and the americana
that infused it.  It could even have been by Martinu, given its rhythmic
intensity -- though it clearly wasn't (not enough rhythmic fluctuations or
intricacy).

I'd be very interested to learn the name of this music, and who composed
it.

Thanks in advance.

Bert Bailey, in Ottawa