From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 16:01:45 PST
Matthew Huston wrote:

>Lindblad's first Symphony was played the other evening on the local
>public radio station (KUHF).  I enjoyed the piece very much.  The
>music seems modeled closely on Beethoven.

That's a bulls-eye.  When I'm listening to Lindblad, there are often
passages that remind me of Beethoven.  That's not a bad model as long
as it's not overdone.

>The work was stylistically conservative, to be sure, but I liked it
>a lot and will try to track down a recording.

Symphony no. 1 is coupled with some Lindblad songs on Caprice 21425.
Symphony no. 2 is coupled with an Olander (same time period) symphony
on Sterling 1005.  I have the two symphonies on Marco Polo 8.225105.
Hopefully, at least one of these cds will be easy to locate.

>Are there more than two symphonies by Lindbald, does anyone know?

There are 18 of them, and Peter Gelb is insisting that Sony Classical
record every one of them.  Only kidding.  There's only the two, and at
least part of the reason is that Swedish audiences of that time did not
take kindly to their countrymen writing them - I have no idea why.  But,
Lindblad did write hundreds of songs and a batch of chamber works and solo
piano compositions.  I'm only aware of one recording of his chamber output,
a string quintet on Musica Sveciae.

I like this thread and the short but expressive title.  Gives folks the
opportunity to write about their new enthusiasms, and I'm sure much of it
will rub off on other list members.

Don Satz